Training modules serve as an in-service education for bloggers and writers who want to learn the basics of journalism. These basics form the foundational knowledge areas of the profession.
The essentials provided in these course segments are designed to cover knowledge and practice areas for providing news and information for the public and to meet the challenges of the First Amendment, so long as other criteria are met.
The course segments are given by journalists with education, training and experience. The curriculum has been organized by an award-winning educator who has taught journalism within a University setting.
The modules consist of eight discreet topics, each covering a segment of the curriculum. They are free for staff writers of Green Heritage News. Please return to the site as the curriculum is developed in full for class dates and sign up schedules.
1. Ethics on the Writing About Persons, Places and Things
2. The Basics of Writing for the Trade
3. Math Simplified for Objective Reports
4. Elements of the News Story
5. Hard News and Features and “The Beat Goes On”
5. Interviewing Techniques and Profiles
6. Polls, Forums, Government and Statistical Stories
7. Crime, Punishment and Disaster Reporting
8. Story Ideas and Sources of Information